129 ratings (3.791 average)
What's new in this version (0.88):
* fix bug in attaching audio recording of note
With only a single button-click, record a voice note, have it converted to text and sent as an email (with attached audio recording) or SMS. Great for capturing that important thought when driving, walking, etc. By converting speech to text, it avoids having to listen to audio recordings of notes later and then writing them down. Unlike other apps that send emails semi-automatically, the email is sent completely in the background - no email app to select and no Send button to push. VocaNote is a great alternative to Jott, which will no longer be offered after May 3, 2011.
Other features include:
* emails ca optionally have an audio recording of the message attached
* user defined voice prompt
* optional reading of your message back to you
* message confirmation dialog, so you can edit it or cancel it. If you do nothing, the dialog is automatically dismissed after 5 seconds and the message is sent.
Although the app currently has English text for all the menus, etc., the voice recognition and speech-to-text works for a bunch of different languages. (Localization for menus, etc. in other languages is in the works.)
GOOGLE VOICE RECOGNITION:
VocaNote uses Android's Voice Recognition service as well as Android's Text to Speech service (for prompting and reading your message back to you). The Voice Recognition requires a data connection, since the recognition is performed on Google's servers.
To improve recognition, speak slowly with space between your words.
VocaNote is ad-supported. If you like it, try VocaNotePlus which has the following additional features:
* no ads
* six additional recipients selected by voice tags
* todo list on the main screen, to which you can add items by voice
* log of all messages you have sent
* choose to send just text, just audio, or both
* send long dictations as audio attachments (without speech-to-text)
* reads the weather to you
VocaNote requires the following permissions and the reasons are given below.
1. RECORD_AUDIO: to do the voice recognition
2. READ_PHONE_STATE: to put your phone number in the speeddial setup for you automatically
3. GET_ACCOUNTS: to put your gmail address in the speeddial setup for you automatically
4. INTERNET: to send the recorded audio off to Google for recognition
5. ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: for Google Analytics (troubleshooting VocaNote)
6. SEND_SMS: to send your message via SMS
7. WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: to record the log of your messages
8. GET_TASKS: for admob ads
No personal information is harvested or used in any way other than for its intended purpose (sending your email or SMS). Anonymous usage data is collected via Google Analytics to help improve the app (specifically for Localization issues).
safe driving, hands free, speech to text, voice recognition, voice memo, voice note, safe memo, voice to email, voice to SMS, speech recognition, one click, background email, one touch, quick memo, reminder, todo
Last comments from Android Market
Works great on my droid 2! Excellent help from developer. Soooooo handy!
E. S. (*****)
Use it daily and its awesome. Droid 2.2 incredible. Developer VERY responsive and effective.
Very useful and easy to use. Makes it easy to send reminders to myself. Nexus One.
Works nicely on my KaosFroyo 37 eris (android 2.2). Friendly developer feedback
Works on Galaxy S phones as described. I will use to send email reminders to desktop. A very useful app that works great.
I can't even tell you how or if it works.force close Everytime
I installed it on my Droid with 2.2 and doesn't work.
Better than Google voice or genius button only takes one press of a button, you speak and your done! Camera button not working on my phone.