102 ratings (4.422 average)
What's new in this version (2.10.00):
- Adding more puzzles! Now there are over 1100!
- Made the "Show Keyboard" button move next to the "Check Answers" button when in landscape mode. This should make it easier to use on tablet devices.
Dust off your old decoder ring and sharpen your code breaking skills.
Solve cryptograms with Enigma using patterns, letter frequencies, and common sense as you attempt to break the code.
There are over 1100 puzzles included with more coming in future updates. (I'm typing as fast as I can...)
A Trial Version is available too.
What is a cryptogram?
A cryptogram is a block of text that has been encrypted using a "substitution cipher". In a substitution cipher, each letter is replaced with a different one.
All letters A are changed to the letter Q.
All letters B are changed to the letter R.
This mapping of letters is different for each game.
Using patterns, letter frequencies, and common sense you attempt to determine the letter for which each of the encrypted letters stands.
The application provides several features to help you if you get stuck.
- On-Screen Navigation - Use the on-screen directional arrows to move around. Helpful if you don't have a d-pad or trackball.
- Pressing Space or Delete will clear the current letter.
- Save Game - You can save your game and come back to it if you need a break.
- Show/Hide Source - The source of the quote/text block is hidden by default. This hint will expose the source for you and hide it again to open up more screen space.
- Show Letter - When you really get stuck, this will expose the letter of your choice in the cryptogram.
- Show Puzzle - When all hope is lost, this will show you the answer to the puzzle you've been working on.
- Letter Frequency Table - Shows you the number of times a coded letter appears in the text.
- Unused Letters - Shows a list of the letters that have not yet been used in the puzzle solution.
- Showing Duplicates - Duplicate letters are shown as italicized. So, if you enter the same letter for two different codes, Enigma will show all occurrences of that entered letter italicized.
- If you complete the puzzle without using the "Show Puzzle" option, you will be given the opportunity to email the quote to yourself or someone else.
Enigma can be customized to your personal tastes by choosing the Preferences menu item and selecting the appropriate options.
Select from different color schemes. Feel free to contact me with suggestions for more.
- Original - Reminiscent of the old green screen monitors.
- The Blues - Blue is the basis of this color scheme.
- Scarlet Letters - Deep reds make this a pleasing choice.
Select from different Font sizes. This can be very helpful on tablets where you might want the puzzle to take up more room and be easier to manage.
- Small - Useful for smaller devices.
- Medium - The original size and still the default.
- Large - Tablets will work well with this or the next size up.
- Extra-Large - Tablets will work well with this or the next size do
Last comments from Android Market
Per previous posts...don't want "wheel of fortune"? Then don't use the cheats. Challenging for thinkers.
Great game for the brainy chick
My favorite puzzle app.
I love it.....addicting....and challenging
No keyboard on evo
If you love cryptograms this game is awesome!! The quotes are difficult and plentiful...worth every penny! U will definately have hours of enjoyment!
No keyboard on Incredible.
Update did not fix it. Still can't get a keyboard. :( Droid incredible
Nothing "code breaking" about it. Might as well play wheel of fortune. Same thing.