665 ratings (4.265 average)
What's new in this version (1.4.5):
1. Enhanced icon.
2. Added disable to intensity popup duration if intensity checkbox isn't checked.
3. Added description about setting brightness values directly to the preference dialog window.
4. Cleaned up the setup window.
Backlight! is a free brightness app/widget for Android that changes your devices’ screen backlight with a single click. It also allows complete custom brightness levels. You can even assign it to a gesture or a main dock for easier access.
1. Any extra permissions like read phone state are due to admob ads identifying unique installations. I'm looking into a way to make this not required.
2. Doesnt work on Sense UI devices (i.e. Hero).
3. Potential conflict with Juice Defender. JD seems to negate any requests of this app to change brightness.
Android recognizes values from 1-255 with 1 being darkest and 255 being brightest. It also has support for automatic brightness. Default levels are 1, 50, 150, and 255 respectively. To enable Auto Brightness you can use the letter 'a'.
Backlight! controls the screen brightness level only. It does not adjust keyboard brightness or other light features of the phone.
Don’t forget to add/re-add the widgets to the home screen!
Last comments from Android Market
Very helpful, easy to handle and safes battery. Thx.
I like that this is an app rather than a widget bc I can switch it from the task switcher. My keyboard would not type in the custom field.I had paste!
Definitely has the app and the widget backwards, but other than placing an app on my home screen vs a widget it is great.
Video review on smartkeitai.com. Backlight works great if you use the manual brightness setting.
Easy to set. Easy to use. Saves battery life when you adjust brightness manually instead of automatically.
Best back light app.
As others have said, widget and app are surely the wrong way around?... widget is ugly though so just a shortcut looks better anyway! Lol.
Widget and are backwards, why?
Unfortunately, it didn't kill brightness all the way on the nexus one.
Ignore -ve's Use widget to adjust. Set to 0,255 for max/min brightness toggle, or 0,50,255 for 3 levels (logarithmic'ish)