33839 ratings (4.692 average)
What's new in this version (6.40):
- Now forces user to select a backup folder on Restore/View/Delete/Send if it hasn't been selected already. Hoping to reduce confusion for users who are moving external SD Card to new Device or factory resetting device with external SD Card.
- Changed the Scheduler and Password screens to show a Toggle/Switch instead of a checkbox as it was causing some confusion for some users.
- Switched back to MoPub for
SMS Backup & Restore is a simple Android app that backs up and restores your phone's text messages.
- Backup SMS Messages in XML format.
- Choose a scheduled time to automatically backup.
- Backup format is independent of the Android version so the messages can be easily moved from one phone to another, irrespective of the Android version.
- Option to select which conversations to backup.
- View/Restore all Messages or only selected conversations.
- Delete all SMS Messages on the Phone.
- Email a backup file.
- Automatically Email or Upload to Dropbox & Google Drive using the Add-On.
- The XML can then be converted to other formats, and can also be viewed on a computer.
Please note that this app does not support MMS (Picture/Audio/Video) messages.
This app is ad-supported and requires the Internet permissions to display the Ads.
If you do not want ads the they can be disabled from preferences or you can buy the paid version from the Market.
On newer phones with inbuilt storage the default backup location will probably be the internal storage card and not the external.
This is because the phone reports the storage that way.
If you intend to do a factory reset on the phone, please make sure you save/email a copy of the backup outside the phone before doing it.
Lots more info at http://android.riteshsahu.com/apps/sms-backup-restore
FAQs can be found at http://bit.ly/d9t7Jk
Please start the app at least once after updates so that the scheduled backups start working.
This App needs access to the following:
* Your messages: Backup and Restore messages.
* Storage: To create the Backup file on the SD card.
* Phone calls - Without this the Restore fails on some phones.
* Network communication: For displaying Advertisements.
* Your social information: To display and store the contact names in the Backup file.
* Run at start-up: Start scheduled Backups.
* View Network Connections: So that the app does not try to load Ads when there is no connection.
* Control Vibration: To vibrate the phone when an operation is completed.
* Prevent Phone from Sleeping: To prevent the phone from going to sleep/suspended state while a Backup or Restore operation is in progress.
* Test access to Protected Storage: To create the Backup file on the SD card.
Icons designed by Vlad Kitanoski of www.vk-solutions.com
Last comments from Android Market
Very usefull app
Cant open the xml file in my PC. The rest all nice.
Received messages not timestamped correctly and sorted out of order when archive is viewed.
Works well. It's a shame that this product does not support MMS.
Cool app. Restoring after redoing my phone didn't preserve any date stamps; all texts in all coversations have same date/time :(
Simple and works great!
Simple dose what it says
worked well until most recent update. backed up, deleted msgs, then restored... now i have dupes of all SENT messages. how to fix? mytouch 3g slide.