251 ratings (4.080 average)
What's new in this version (2.3):
* Nexus 7 support
* Bug fixes
* Quickly look up all characters from a compound
* Support new eSpeak TTS (ICS compatible)
* UI improvements
* Unified icons
* Added Anki export
* Direct compound search
* Added Share action
* Coupon code upgrade support
* Full tablet support
* New UI for phones
* Reduced startup time
* Better error handling and reporting
Handwritten character recognition and dictionary for simplified and traditional Chinese.
** New: Version 2.0 with redesigned UI and full support for tablets
** New: Text to speech support. Just install the eSpeak TTS engine and get audio pronunciation for hanzi (free) or compounds (premium only).
Premium features available: search by reading/meaning, compound search, favorites and history. You can upgrade form within the application (Settings->Upgrade to premium), no need to download a separate application.
Premium upgrade price: around $3.99 (varies slightly by location/exchange rate. Press the 'Upgrade' button to display the Android Market dialog with the current price).
Just draw a character, tap 'Recognize' and select a candidate to display character reading, meaning, radical and hear audio pronunciation . Search by reading or meaning, as well as compound search also available (premium only). Characters/compounds you view are automatically saved to history and can be marked as favorite (premium only).
Follow proper, or at least basic (left to right, top to bottom, horizontal before vertical, etc.), stroke order for best results.
* Full tablet support (v2.0)
* Audio pronunciation for hanzi and compounds (uses the eSpeak text-to-speech engine)
* Search on stroke -- recognition candidates are displayed automatically as you draw
* Adjustable candidates font size
* Adjustable drawing pen size and color
* Shake to delete stroke/clear all
* Favorites and history (premium only)
* Favorites Excel (CSV) and Anki export (premium only)
* Search by reading and meaning (premium only)
* Compound search (premium only)
* Supports both traditional and simplified Chinese
* Works offline (Internet connections is only required to download resources on first run).
* Integrated character database with more than 70,000 entries
* Stroke annotation
* Undo (removes last stroke)
* Pinyin and Jyutping readings
* Radical display
* Character decomposition into components
* Display character component details
* Copy and append to clipboard
Not a handwriting input method (IME).
Ad-supported (ads are not displayed if you upgrade to premium).
Version 2.0 requires Android 2.1 and later. Earlier Android versions can use version 1.7.2.
Email me for bug reports and feature requests:
Follow me on Twitter for latest updates: @kapitanpetko
Release announcements and detailed explanation of new features on my blog:
Last comments from Android Market
A lot of words are not recognized
This is a useful application, but it does not work as well as similar programs. It is the best on Android though.
love the dictionary radical breakdown! request: direct access to the dictionary by typing hanzi plz! (cause i still cant handwrite write well enough!)
The classifier works poorly.
Great software helps my study. More characters writing instead of single.
Superb on my HTC Evo, love it! Best of its kind.
This is exactly what I needed! Thanks so much, it works great.
Awesome! Love the new dictionary features. For those having recognition problems, try writing bigger -- really fill the screen. It helps a lot.
Clearly useful in its current incarnation - Recognition rate is way up compared to earlier versions
Improving app all the time. Better if recognition not based primarily in stroke order but stroke count as well. Difficult if you don't know the order.