1138 ratings (4.254 average)
What's new in this version (2.3):
* Nexus 7 support
* Save quiz configuration
* Added 100 kanji quiz option
* Updated Dutch translation
* Bug fixes
* Added quiz training mode
* UI improvements
* Improved sharing
* Split action bar for history/favorites
* Unified icons
* Added Anki export
* Added Share action
* Added bell/buzzer for quiz
* Coupon code upgrade
* Tablet and ICS su
Handwritten Japanese kanji recognition and writing quiz. Integrates with WWWJDIC.
** New: Training mode for quiz. Use stroke guidelines and stroke order hints to practice writing kanji correctly. Does not advance to next character until you get it right.
New: Kanji writing quiz. Test yourself based on school year or JLPT level. Check your answers against the proper stroke order using animated diagrams.
Now offers premium features (history/favorites, export/import, search by reading/meaning, Simeji/OpenWnn/ATOK integration, local stroke order database). You can upgrade form within the application (Settings->Upgrade to premium), no need to download a new application.
Premium upgrade price: around $4.99 (varies slightly by location/exchange rate. Press the 'Upgrade' button to display the Android Market dialog with the current price).
Just draw a character, tap 'Recognize' and select a candidate to display reading, meaning, radical and more. Copy or share characters to clipboard or other apps. History/favorites and search by reading or meaning also available (premium only). Call from within Simeji, OpenWnn/Flick, ATOK or OpenWnn Plus to input characters using handwriting (premium only, Simeji/OpenWnn/Atok Japanese IME install required).
Test your kanji writing skills by school year or JLPT level: write kanji based on reading and/or meaning hints. Check your score, and compare your writing with the proper stroke order using animated stroke order diagrams. Free version offers JLPT N5 and elementary school grade 1 and 2 kanji. Premium versions lets you select all grades/JLPT levels.
Follow proper, or at least basic (left to right, top to bottom, horizontal before vertical, etc.), stroke order for best results.
* if recognition is slow on your device, try using the compressed model. Open Settings (press the Menu key, or the overflow menu on ICS to display), press 'Recognition model' and select 'JP. comb. compressed'. This should improve startup time and recognition speed.
* you can also increase the search timeout to make sure recognition starts after you finish drawing. Tap 'Auto-search after' in Settings and increase the timeout (default is 400 ms)
* if it is still slow, uncheck the 'Search on stroke' option in Settings. Candidates won't be displayed automatically, but on a separate screen.
* draw larger characters for better recognition
* Tablet support
* Animated stroke order diagrams (online for free version, offline for premium)
* Kanji writing quiz. Bell/buzzer sounds for right/wrong answer.
* Training mode
* Automatically searches on each stroke for immediate feedback
* Configurable drawing pen size and color
* Shake to delete stroke/all strokes
* Favorites and history (premium only)
* Favorites Excel (CSV) and Anki export (premium only)
* Simeji, OpenWnn/Flick, ATOK, OpenWnn Plus integration (mushroom) (premium only)
* Search by reading and meaning (premium only)
* Compressed model for older/slower devices.
* Works offline (Internet connections is only required to download resources on first run).
* Stroke annotation
* Undo (removes last stroke)
* Integrated kanji database with more than 13,000
Last comments from Android Market
Excellent app! Does what it says. Has been a tremendous help.
Fantastic! Recognises every kanji I've drawn (up to 14 strokes so far). Would love to see an input method based around it.
@Judebert it's called kanji recognizer for a reason. what's to define abot hiragana?
Using to improve hirigana skills. Recognizes characters, but can't define them.
Couldn't recognise anything almost. Not even the most simple "jim"
Can't recognize basic kanji. Couldn't get it to recognize something simple like 近 (chika).Waste of space. Needs improvement.
Rarely recognizes correctly. And if you draw in the wrong stroke order it always misses.
Absolute trash, database has what you are trying to write but you wont ever see it, also it doesnt remove databse after uninstall so u have 2 yourself
It works as advertised. It would be much better if you could put several kanji to the clipboard rather than just one. As is it is not very useful.