1791 ratings (4.649 average)
What's new in this version (2.0.3):
- Fix incompatibility with basic unix commands broken carelessly by Motorola.
- Asynchronous UI init to avoid ANR.
Thanks to people with Moto devices who helped, especially segv11
- Fix broken layout on Gingerbread and older.
- Should prevent un-rooting in case something went wrong.
- Save su backup elsewhere, might fool some stupid apps trying to detect the backup.
Free tool trying to protect root across manufacturer's OTA updates.
Also serves as temporary un-root (see statement)
Distributed as free of charge - no warranty. Open Source license: WTFPL.
Alternative download link: http://dl.project-voodoo.org/apps/VoodooOTARootKeeper.apk
This application makes a backup or a protected backup of your device's root.
This device must already be rooted: OTA RootKeeper doesn't have the ability to root devices.
If several conditions are matched, OTA RootKeeper will make root survive OTAs and... pretty much well anything :) − except /system partition formatting.
- /system partition as Ext2, Ext3 or Ext4
- Upgrades not formatting or overwriting completely the /system partition.
Typical systems where its perfectly effective:
- Nexus S
- Galaxy Nexus
- Every Honeycomb tablet
Typical system where the protection won't work:
- HTC Desire
- Samsung Galaxy Spica
- Samsung Galaxy S / SII
The application doesn't support original Superuser and not SuperSU for a very simple reason. The same feature OTA protection feature is already present in SuperSU.
In most case, only manufacturer's original recovery is able to install OTAs. It should not interfere with OTA update process itself.
A bonus feature is present, allowing you to un-root your device while keeping a su backup.
This way you can naively hide root until you choose to restore it via without further complications.
This nifty feature work on every rooted device.
** Temporary un-root statement **
This feature is designed for dev purposes in order to test their app with or without root.
The goal here is not to encourage stupid and unacceptable behaviors by movie or content sellers trying to prevent you to purchase or watch digital media you purchased if your device is rooted.
Vote with your dollars: Don't accept being a customer of companies restricting your freedom with defective and and inefficient technical measures.
Source code is available here:
OTA root keeper is Open Source. Contributions, reviews and comments are welcome!
If you like this app, feel free to donate via PayPal to firstname.lastname@example.org & make my day in the process :D
XDA Developers thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1241517
- Please help making the app work on devices I don't know/own instead of giving useless bad ratings.
- It seems I have to repeat that. Comments & rating doesn't help fixing bugs. Take responsibility if you want problem solved.