16 ratings (4.563 average)
What's new in this version (1.80):
- Tweaks for faster file reads/write performance!
- Fixes major bug that can corrupt content in large files when repeatedly editing and saving the same chunk without closing the file in between.
- Due to user expectations, I've stopped NTW from autoclosing itself whenever another program pushes it into the background.
- Fixed a minor bug which prevented the final line of a file from being displayed if it did not end with
NTW(Need To Write) Text Editor can edit text files of UNLIMITED size! NTW loads small chunks of the file at a time. This way, size is not a limitation and performance remains high. You can navigate around the entire file using the GoTo function or by clicking the Next or Prev icons.
And it bookmarks your editing progress for every file. NTW's Shelf interface can keep track of every file, much like a Tasks app on steroids.
Comes with both English interface and 简体中文界面 options
If you are upgrading, you should save the files you are editing with NTW first.
Text to speech for SVOX classic will only work if you enable both the SVOX Classic engine under your phone's TTS settings, as well as enable Language Override inside SVOX Classic TTS settings.
TTS with SVOX is buggy for IceCream Sandwich, users are advised to use Google's own built in TTS engine.
If NTW crashes after you update your firmware to ICS, this is due to directory restructuring by ICS, thus clashing with NTW's own log data. Simply delete the /.NeedToWrite folder to fix this.
If you encounter any other startup crashes, either switch to a smaller(<1MB) image file for your background image, or install TTS for your phone. Its free on the Android market.
Don't hesitate to email me if you still have problems.
Paid version mainly adds lotsa poweruser options, not essential, but looks very useful right ;D
1) Remembers up to 9999 undo/redo operations
2) Control over the End-Of-Line characters (Apple, Unix and Windows tend to handle different End-Of-Line differently when doing plain text editing)
3) Allows user to specify buffer size
4) Allows custom fonts and background images
5) Allows user to customize 6 extra Themes in addition to the built-in 3 Themes.
6) Allows toggling of word wrap
7) Continuous Text to Speech in paid version. Free version will play single paragraphs, then stop until play button is pressed again.
- Edits text files of any size by loading small segments of the file at a time. To navigate between file segments, either use the goTo command, or tap the arrow icons on the top left and right corners.
- Text to speech synthesizer!
- Supports HTML view! And allows text justification along both left and right
- Shelf system that works like a sortable Task list.
- Save/autosave and auto bookmark/backup features works in the background so your changes are never lost, but neither are you forced to irrevocably save changes you still feel ambiguous about.
- Undo/Redo, Search(with full *wildcards* functionality! :D) and Replace, GoTo.
- Themes! Customizable display, fonts, and colors for both paid and free versions. And for the paid version, you can even specify your own background images and custom fonts.
- supports multiple encodings including, ISO8859-_, windows 125_, Japanese, Chinese and Korean.
- Work with text files for easy transfer between your phone and PC.
- No popup nag box! :s
- End of Line control when saving
- Toggleable word wrap
For more information, pls refer to Help in the menu.
Last comments from Android Market
Easily beats other text editors. Configure to suit your own work habits. Powerful, yet reliable and easy to use. Developer very helpful. SGS-I896.
Does not recognize the full charactor set. Example, shows a dash as a question mark. What good is that?
Does exactly what it says on the tin!